A manuscript writer may receive a letter from a publisher or the editor of a journal saying a submitted manuscript is under editorial consideration. This is not the time to push the panic button. In a roundabout way, it is extremely good news. A manuscript under editorial consideration indicates that the work has not been rejected out of hand, but is being given a second look. The editor is checking for any problems with formatting and all criteria have been met. If anything, that notification is a signal to get ready for the next step.
An interesting fact on rejection rates…
“Although the range in rejection rates is quite large (2%-91%), most journals reject between 25% and 60% of submitted manuscripts, with a mean of 38.7%, a result of more than 6,000 manuscripts a year rejected for publication.”
David M. Schultz, 2010: Rejection Rates for Journals Publishing in the Atmospheric Sciences. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 91, 231–243.
Writers can be a very nervous group of people. Any letter that comes from a publisher is going to be open immediately and read numerous times. Receiving a notice of “Manuscript under Editorial Consideration” can cause a number of writers to get very nervous. Don’t get excited! This is not as serious a problem as you might initially believe.
Stay Calm, It Is Not an Outright Rejection
- Do not panic. This simply means that the book is being given a second look by the publisher.
- Request clarification. This could be the standard operating procedure for the publishing company. A very polite request for some explanation about the notice is not being pushy or rude
- The work is been assigned to an editor. It simply can mean that a staff person is reviewing your work. By no means does it automatically mean the manuscript has been rejected.
It Can Actually Be Very Good News
- The manuscript passed a major hurdle. The manuscript has been accepted for review. Most manuscripts received by publishing house are rejected outright. You should think of your manuscript as having successfully cleared the first hurdle.
- Prepare for the next level. There is a very distinct possibility that after the manuscript has been reviewed by an editor, the next step may be a review of galley proofs. Getting ready for that is something you should do.
- Check the work yourself. The editor is going to be looking over the material you ought to do the same thing. You may be able to anticipate any problems and be better able to respond when the next message is received.
- Learn more about the process. The more you know about editorial consideration, the better you are able to respond to it. As mentioned before, receiving the notice is not necessarily bad news.
- Ask if there is additional information needed. This alerts the publisher to your willingness to cooperate.
- Hedge your bets just a little. Assuming that there will be no bad news at the same time there’s nothing to stop you from submitting your manuscript to a second publisher.
- Respond with a note. It is appropriate business etiquette to send back a brief letter letting the publishing company know you are in receipt of the notice. You can also take the opportunity to thank the publisher for giving your manuscript serious consideration.
“Manuscript under Editorial Consideration” Is Not the End of the World
It is true that as a writer you may have received all kinds of negative letters. Publishers are extremely choosy and very few manuscript ever get to be final books. However, if you have not received a rejection letter then your work is being looked at carefully. Think of it that way. While you’re waiting for a final word you also might want to consider any future marketing of your book. Writers are expected to take an active role in promoting their work and that includes marketing efforts. You can take the time to prepare a marketing strategy for the publisher’s inspection.
List of Famous Writers Who Got Editorial Rejections
- Margaret Mitchell – Gone With the Wind
- Herman Melville – Moby Dick
- Harper Lee – To Kill a Mockingbird
- Madeleine L’Engle – A Wrinkle in Time
- J. K. Rowling – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Kathryn Stockett – The Help
- Beatrix Potter – The Tale of Peter Rabbit
- Shel Silverstein – The Giving Tree
- H. G. Wells – The War of the Worlds
- Ayn Rand – Atlas Shrugged
- Judy Blume – The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo
- Rudyard Kipling – The Jungle Book
- John Grisham – A Time to Kill
- Lucy Maud Montgomery – Anne of Green Gables
- Agatha Christie – The Mysterious Affair at Styles
The Writer May Have to Fix a Manuscript Submitted
The editorial consideration process may uncover some difficulties in the text. This can be something as minor as not following the required format. Journals can be very particular about this and will not accept a manuscript that doesn’t adhere to the guidelines. This places the writer in a state of literary limbo. The manuscript has not been rejected outright but needs to be repaired. For the sake of ultimate publication, a third-party service may have to be contacted. You cannot do better than us when it comes to the repair work or to formatting a novel manuscript.
We Have Top-Rated Professionals
Fixing a manuscript may mean nothing more than preparing it for publication. Our team is familiar with the editorial requirements of journals, and we can prepare the content so that it passes the rigorous inspection. There may be some editing to do and we can certainly do that. We work to any deadline set by the client so that the draft manuscript is returned quickly to the publishing editors. We also charge highly reasonable fees for services. In addition to everything else, we back up our work with a 100% money-back guarantee. What we offer is the closest thing to a perfect winning situation. The client can be assured that if the manuscript is sent back all the necessary fine-tuning will be done to his or her satisfaction.
Attention to Detail Brings Desired Results
A manuscript under editorial consideration notice is never a sign of defeat. It is entirely possible that no further work needs to be done on the document. However, there is also the chance that it needs more work and you must be ready for that possibility. Please feel free to contact us and go over all of our services. You will then have a better idea of what we can do and what the cost will be. You can rest assured of getting the highest possible service from our staff. If you have despaired to find the top-quality service for the best price, you are in luck now, because our company offers the best novel manuscript writing service.